Change Agents engage in education, support, and advocacy efforts that support the work of the LGBTQ Center in creating an inclusive campus and equitable experience for students of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Change Agents are supported by the Center in doing programming, creating and implementing initiatives, and making changes on campus and within the community.
The Change Agent program is a student leadership program that began in January 2017 and was made possible by gifts from generous alumni and donors. Eight students, who represent a diversity of identities, experiences, and campus engagement areas and interests, were selected through a competitive application process to be the inaugural class of Change Agents.
Inaugural Class of Change Agents
- Sania Ali, Class of 2019
- Sunny Calhoun, Class of 2020
- Meli Fonseca, Class of 2018
- Julius Goble, Class of 2019
- Charlotte Lu, Class of 2020
- Brianna Powell, Class of 2019
- Natalie Valdes, Class of 2020
- Charlotte Warren, Class of 2020
As Change Agents, students began their experience by attending the 2017 Creating Change conference, the pre-eminent political, leadership and skills-building conference for the LGBTQ social justice movement, with the LGBTQ Center. The conference was held in January in Philadelphia and included a day of pre-conference sessions, two full days of workshops, speakers, and more, and an opportunity to march in the Philadelphia Women’s March on January 21. To view photos from our trip to Philadelphia, visit our Flickr album.
After returning to campus, Change Agents are tasked with using the knowledge and skills gained to develop and implement programs and initiatives to enhance inclusion of LGBTQ identities and individuals within the campus and local communities. The inaugural class of Change Agents have already begun their projects and will be working with the LGBTQ Center throughout 2017 to bring their ideas to life. More information will be shared as their projects continue to develop.
Through participating in the LGBTQ Center Change Agent role, students will…
- Gain a broader and deeper understanding of national issues in LGBTQ rights and community building, organizing, and policy work
- Develop specific tools to translate experiences and knowledge back to the campus and local community to enhance inclusion for LGBTQ individuals
- Engage in an immersive experience within a large, diverse, multi-faceted LGBTQ community and reflect on the ways this immersion impacts sense of self and personal identity development
- Create and implement programs, initiatives, and interventions that create change for LGBTQ people within the campus and community, framed by the knowledge and perspective gained through participation in the national conference
- Demonstrate learning and growth resulting from role as a Change Agent and share these results with peers and the campus community